Somek Estate Winery

Somek Estate Winery was founded in 2003 by Barak and Hila with the aim of producing high-quality wines that reflect the terroir of the Zichron-Yaacov region. Barak is the fifth generation of winemakers in this region, which was founded in 1882 by Baron Edmond de Rothschild. Hila studied at the University of Adelaide, Australia and is a qualified oenologist.

For several generations, Barak's family tended the vineyards and sold the grapes to the major wineries. In 2003, Barak and Hila decided to harvest 10% of the best sites to make their own wines. They continue to sell the remaining 90% of their harvest to other wineries. Together, Barak and Hila represent a long tradition of viticulture, experience and knowledge in this region, as well as technical knowledge and procedures in the production of wine. An excellent combination, combined with a passion for the land which can be felt in the wines.

The white grape varieties are Chardonnay, Roussanne, Chenin Blanc, Viognier and the red grape varieties are mainly Carignan, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Syrah, Grenache and Mourvèdre.

Cellar master: Hila and Dahan Barak

Main location: Zichron Yaacov

Labels: Chardonnay, Haderech Halevana, Adom, Syrah, Carignan, Bikat Hanadiv, Kerem 13

Top product: Bikat Hanadiv

Appellation: Carmel Mountains

Production: 20,000 bottles per year

By clicking on the bottle, you can read a full description of the wines and also purchase them if you wish.